Brian is a partner in the firm and has been a lawyer since 1983.
He is recognised as one of Australia’s leading experts in the areas of elder law, retirement, disability and aged care.
Brian has extensive experience in life planning for older people and the legal issues impacting on them including making Wills, administering estates, disputes over Wills, superannuation, social security, retirement villages and aged care, incapacity, the Guardianship Regime, the loss of a spouse or the ‘suddenly single syndrome’, planning for disabled children, elder abuse, enduring powers of attorney, advance health directives, family agreements and disputes and mediation.
His expertise also extends to the structuring of business affairs and advising on the impact of the transfer of interests in family businesses including trusts and family companies.
As a passionate believer in the crucial role of charitable and community organisations, he also spends a significant amount of his time advising the not for profit and community sectors on Board governance, restructuring and constitutional review, mergers and acquisitions, legal compliance and risk management especially in the aged care, retirement and disability sectors.
Brian is a popular presenter in public forums on elder law issues and is also regularly invited to address the changing legal dynamics and needs of the aged care and disability sectors at industry conferences.
In 2014, for the second year in a row, Brian was named one of Australia’s best lawyers in Retirement Villages and Senior Living Law.
Qualifications, Memberships and Other Contributions:
- Bachelor of Arts – University of Queensland
- Bachelor of Laws (Hons) – University of Queensland
- Deputy Chair – Queensland Law Society’s Elder Law Committee
- Former part time member – Queensland Law Reform Commission
- International member – National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys of America
- Member – Queensland Law Society
- Approved Facilitator for Corporate Governance – Aged Care Standards and Accreditation Agency
- Member – QPAC Choir
- Adjunct Lecturer – Griffith University